INGREDIENTS for 6 people:
For the custard:
– 250 ml of fluid cream
– 4 egg yolks
– 50 g caster sugar
– 1 vanilla pod
For garnish :
– 25 g caster sugar (optional if the strawberries are very sweet)
– 50 ml strawberry liqueur
– about 28 spoon cookies
– 50g slivered almonds
1. Split the vanilla pod in half, remove the seeds with the tip of a knife.
2. Rinse a saucepan with cold water (step that prevents the cream from sticking). Pour in the milk, single cream and vanilla seeds. Bring gently to a boil, turn off and cover.
3. Meanwhile, hull 250 g of strawberries. Mix them with 25 g of sugar and the strawberry liqueur.
4. Whisk the egg yolks vigorously in a bowl with the 50 g sugar until the mixture whitens. Pour the vanilla infused milk over it, whisk again and tip everything back into the saucepan.
5. Bring the cream over low heat, stirring constantly for 10 minutes, without boiling (if desired, you can check the cooking with a thermometer, not exceeding 83°C). The cream is ready when it coats the back of a wooden spoon. Whisk it for a minute to cool it down.
6. Line the bottom of a cake tin (transparent, it’s prettier!) with spoon biscuits. Then place strawberries, hulled and cut in half, along the wall. Pour in half of the custard.
Arrange again a layer of biscuits, pour all of the strawberry coulis. Add a final layer of biscuits and finally cover with the remaining custard.
7. Roast the slivered almonds over medium heat and add them to the pudding when they have cooled.
8. Place in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
9. Decorate with the remaining strawberries and serve chilled.