- 3 large potatoes
- 1 chopped white onion
- 1.6 pounds (750 grams) ground beef
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) paprika
- 1 cup (100 grams) shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup (250 ml) basic béchamel sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley
For the béchamel sauce:
- 4 cups (1 liter) milk
- 5 tablespoons (75 grams) butter
- 4 tablespoons (48 grams) flour
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) salt
- ½ teaspoon (3 ml) nutmeg
- Prepare a basic béchamel sauce.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add flour and stir to form a golden roux, stirring constantly for about 6 minutes.
- Heat milk until simmering, then whisk into roux until smooth. Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes, stirring constantly, adding salt and nutmeg at the end.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef with 1 teaspoon (5 mL) chopped fresh parsley and paprika. Season with salt and pepper. Add onion and combine well.
- Peel and boil the potatoes whole, until they are a little soft, about 7 minutes. Drain and slice.
- Arrange the slices in a single layer on the bottom of a round baking dish, then form a vertical outline.
- Form meatballs the size of ice cream scoops and arrange in dish.
- Use the remaining potato slices to separate the meatballs, forming small compartments.
- Pour the béchamel sauce into each of these compartments until they are full, then top with shredded mozzarella.
- Bake for 15 minutes and enjoy.