- Smoked sausage
- Crawfish tails
- Chicken wings
- Green bell pepper
- Roasted red pepper
- Chicken stock
- Cajun seasoning
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Poultry seasoning
- 2 quarts fresh okra, sliced (PicSweet Frozen will work if fresh Is not available, just not as good as fresh)
- 1 pound small to medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 cups diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 3 to 4 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 cup diced celery
- ½ cup diced yellow bell peppers
- ½ cup chicken stock or shrimp stock if available
- Slap Ya Mama to taste or salt and cracked black pepper to taste
In a 4-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
Sauté okra, onions, celery, bell peppers, and chopped garlic for approximately 30 minutes.
Stir constantly until okra stops “stringing.”
Stir in tomatoes and chicken stock, bring to a low boil and cook approximately 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add shrimp and continue to cook additional 15–20 minutes.
Season to taste.
Cajun Trinity: You may have come across recipes calling for this, and wonder what it is. It’s simply three ingredients used to start many Cajun dishes; bell pepper, onions, and celery. These give dishes a wonderful flavor and aroma.
Making a roux: Making a roux is time-consuming and needs to be watched carefully! It can burn easily, so stir often. If it burns, you have to throw it out and start all over again.