- 1 pound of hot or mild Italian sausage (bulk or removed from casing if links are used-If you have a Kroger or Kroger associated store in your area their sausage works best)
- 1 pound of ground turkey (can use the 70/30-cheapest)
- 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 can corn (fire roasted is great, but regular will also work)
- 1 small can of plain tomato paste
- 1 can spinach (drained)
- 4 Cups of diced (bite size) zucchini (about 2 large or 3 medium or 4 small; approximately 1 ½ pounds)
- 4 Cups of diced (bite sized) Yukon gold or Redskin potatoes, washed but with skins still on (about 3-4 large or 10 to 11 small, approximately 1 ½ pounds)
- 1 carton of low sodium beef stock (32 ounce)
- 1 bag of Dole Angel Hair Cabbage/Slaw and 2 medium carrots (shredded); or 1 bag of Cole Slaw Blend (cabbage with carrots)
- 1 Cup Quaker Quick Barley
- Sweet Basil
- corn starch
Vegetable Soup Method :
To prepare the Stoup you will need an 8-8 ½ quart pot
Place the turkey and sausage in the pot. By hand, mix the meats as if you were blending a meatloaf so that the turkey is incorporated with the sausage. Season well with oregano and basil. About 1 Tablespoon or small palm full of each.
Cook on a medium high heat, periodically breaking the meat up.
When you begin to see water and fat in the pot use a bulb baster to drain the meat. Continue to cook the meat and break it up into “crumbles” (think taco meat). Once drained season with oregano and basil again- same amounts as before).
Once the meat is cooked and thoroughly broken up add the following:
Diced tomatoes and corn. Add a can of water from each to include the good “bits” stuck to the can.
Beef stock, tomato paste, and spinach.
A couple cups of hot water with about 3 Tablespoons of cornstarch stirred in to thicken.
Cabbage, potatoes, zucchini and barley.
Enough additional hot water to cover the vegetables and allow a fluid stir.
Leave the pot on medium high heat to get it to begin to boil a bit and sprinkle basil and oregano..
Reduce heat to a simmer or a “burble”, Stir occasionally . Do not cover!
Continue to simmer, stirring occasionally until the zucchini and potatoes are tender. About 30-45 minutes.
Enjoy your Vegetable Soup