This Strawberry Crunch Poke Cake is seriously AMAZING and reminiscent of those nostalgic childhood ice cream bars! A moist and soft strawberry poke cake with a strawberry shortcake crunch topping!
For the Cake:
- One (15.25) box white cake mix, plus ingredients on back of box to prepare white cake
- 3 oz box strawberry gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup cold water
For the Frosting:
- 8 oz (One package) cream cheese, softened
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Strawberry Crunch Topping:
- 18-20 Golden Oreos, coarsely crushed
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3 oz box strawberry gelatin powder
- Fresh strawberries for garnish, optional but recommended
- Preheat oven to 350° degrees F. Liberally grease a 9×13 light metal rectangular baking pan with cooking spray; set aside. Prepare your cake mix according to package directions for a white cake. Add the cake batter to the prepared pan and bake according to package instructions (around 22-25 minutes or a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean). Cool completely, then poke holes all over the cake using the tines of a fork.
- In a small pitcher, combine the first box of a strawberry gelatin and the boiling water and whisk until powder is dissolved. Add in the cold water and whisk in until incorporated. Pour the liquid gelatin mixture evenly over the holes on the cake. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, up to overnight, to set.
- For the frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the cream cheese with the paddle attachment until smooth and fluffy, about 30 seconds – 1 minute. Scrape out and set aside in a medium bowl. Add the heavy cream, confectioners’ sugar and vanilla to the original stand mixer bowl and switch to using the whisk attachment. Whisk on high speed for approximately 5-7 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the cream cheese mixture into the whipped cream mixture until no streaks of cream cheese remain and everything is evenly incorporated. Spread the frosting over the chilled cake in an even layer. Set aside.
- For the topping: Combine the coarsely crushed Golden Oreos, melted butter, and second box of strawberry gelatin powder (just the dry powder) in a medium bowl until combined and thoroughly coated. Drop handfuls of the mixture evenly over the frosted cake and press to adhere to the frosting. Top with fresh strawberries, if desired. Store any leftover cake covered in the fridge. The longer the cake sets in the fridge, the topping will soften some.